This story includes a description of indecent assault

Needham police confirmed Qunhao Zhang, the Needham acupuncturist charged with indecent assault of a patient, has fled the country. 

“We’ve worked with the DA’s office to get the appropriate warrants in place should he return,” said police Chief John Schlittler.

Police say the 56-year-old Zhang, whose license was revoked in 2022, was practicing illegally at Boston Acupuncture Center at 1410 Highland Ave. According to the police report, a client was at her second visit to Zhang’s office when he assaulted her. She said the first visit was not unusual. On the second visit, once Zhang removed the needles, she reported he sat beside her, reached underneath her shirt and began to massage and squeeze her breasts. He then told her to stand up, stood behind her and held her tightly with both arms while pressing himself against her while continuing to touch her breasts. The report indicates, “He kept telling her to breathe and made it sound like a medical procedure.” After breaking away and leaving the office, the woman notified police. 

According to the police report Zhang was not cooperative when they came to his home on Parkinson Street with a warrant for his arrest on Sept. 13. They placed him under arrest and he posted $2,500 bail. He was scheduled to appear in court Sept. 16 but did not show up for his arraignment. 

Zhang was previously arrested in 2019 on similar charges of indecent assault and battery of someone aged 14 or over in Boston. Based on police reports, the behavior in the cases was the same. In 2022 his license was revoked by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine, and he was also cited for “false, deceptive, and misleading information on his website.” The board confirmed that his license had not been reinstated. 

Boston Acupuncture Center lists a second practitioner, Kunzhong Zhang, on its website. Police said he is not part of the criminal investigation. “We don’t believe that he’s connected with the activity or the crimes related to Mr. (Qunhao) Zhang,” said Schlittler. The Massachusetts licensing board confirmed Kunzhong Zhang has been licensed since June 2017. The Observer was not able to confirm whether the two men are related.  

Although police would not confirm whether others have come forward, they are encouraging all those who may have been a victim to contact them. “They don’t have to file a report,” said Schlittler. “We can help with the legal stuff, but also if they need resources we can make sure they get the resources they need or point them in the right direction.” 

There has been no response to repeated attempts to contact Boston Acupuncture Center. 

 Save as PDF

Click here to go Home